Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Freesheets


I was on the 149 the other day - funny that. Anyway, there were two teenage boys sitting in the seats beside me - they looked about 16, maybe 17 tops. One boy was reading a copy of thelondonpaper and says to his mate:

"Why's it called "thelondonpaper", then?", to which his friend replied: "It's cos of the London bombings innit."
"Oh yeah" says the first kid.

I'm sorry, what? Am I missing something here? How exactly does that response correspond to the question? My only explanation is that I mis-heard the question. Perhaps the first boy asked: "Why is the cohesion between the Muslim community and the rest of British society increasingly the cause of much debate particularly in our country's media?"
Or indeed, "Why has Trevor Phillips, head of the Commission for Racial Equality , or CRE for short, suggested that the term multiculturalism is now defunct?"

To which the friend replied: "It's cos of the London bombings innit."

Somehow, I don't think I mis-heard. If anyone can explain this bizarre response, I'd be ever so glad to know... thanks.

No comments: