Saturday, September 23, 2006

Conkers

This event actually happened whilst waiting for the 149, which counts right? Oh who cares, it's my blog so I make the decisions.

Autumn is in the air, (well, kinda, because it's the end of September and yesterday Bedford hit 29 degrees - that is climate change in action man, and the most publicity Bedford is ever going to get). Anyway, there I was, at the bus stop minding my own business with two girls waiting in front of me and a guy behind. As the autumnal wind blew through my hair, I pulled up my collar and thought: "Where's that bleedin' bus?"

Just then I felt something hard and spiky hit me on the back of my head. "What the fuck?" I thought as I spun round to glare at the guy behind me who giggled into his hands. A conker wrapped in its green, menacing, touch me and I'll do some serious damage, shell, rolled into the road after bouncing off my cranium.

"Hey!" I yelled at the laughing man thinking the vindictive little shit (a grown man by the way) had launched a missile at me for no reason whatsoever.

"It weren't me, honest" he squeaked in a school-boy fashion, pointing up at the tree hanging over us.

"Oh, shit, sorry. Right, yeah, the tree," I mumbled. feeling guilty that I'd accused this poor guy of being worthy of an asbo, whilst also thinking that perhaps I had anger management issues. But, man, conkers sure hurt. Watch out, they're nasty little mo fo's.

5 comments:

bryan-in-greece said...

Isn't nature wonderful? Isn't it though? :-) Just consider the conker as Mother Nature saying hello and letting you know autumn is coming... :-)

Observant Commuter said...

You're right Bryan-in-Greece. Mother Nature saying hello is much nicer than some nutter hanging around at a bus stop. I suspect you are an optimist. I'm going to take a "leaf" (see what I did there?) out of your book!

bryan-in-greece said...

"a leaf" - wow, that's good hehehe

Food Slut said...

I like what you did with the 'nutter' too OC... I reckon it was him all along anyway (sorry bryan-in-greece, although your theory is a lovely one). I reckon the 'nutter' was feeling frustrated as he felt he'd waited far too long for the damn bus, and he needed to release his anger, but directed it at you by mistake. Then he decided to pin the blame on the tree which obviously couldn't argue back.

It wasn't me by the way. I am a girl. And I don't tend to throw conkers, particularly at observant commuters.

onewomanrunning said...

I have a confession to make.
I went to a rather rough school in Richmond and come conker season we used to fill up bag fulls and then have conker fights on the bus or chuck them at people out of the top deck windows and also try and get them into open sun roofs. Once, someone hit this man on the back of the head as the bus left the stop. He ran all the way down the road to the next stop and got on the bus. Thankfully that was my stop to get off so I didn't get in trouble.